Modern kitchen is equipped with a huge number of electrical assistants. The microwave in this list takes not the last place. It can be used to defrost, reheat, cook and even sterilize bottles.
Unfortunately, if used improperly, it can cause an unpleasant smell. Why does it appear and how to reliably and quickly get rid of the smell in the microwave? Let's try to deal with this difficult task.
Is it possible to get rid of the smell in the microwave at home?
Incorrectly chosen cooking time and the inclusion of an empty microwave oven often leads to fire. Due to the poor performance of the fan, flavors from a variety of dishes can stagnate and mix. Cooking products with a strong smell, such as fish or chicken. Splashes of grease stuck to the walls. Causes of odor may be different. Fortunately, there are many ways to get rid of the unpleasant smell in the microwave at home:
- Activated carbon;
- aromatic herbs;
- oven cleaner.
This list is available in the kitchen of almost every housewife. How to use each of the methods described in detail below.
But! Whichever way you choose, first of all, the microwave should be thoroughly cleaned with liquid dishwashing detergent. Carefully remove all grease and food stains with a sponge. Odor may disappear after this procedure.
Important! Never use a metal brush or abrasive cleaners to clean the surface of the microwave. Damage to the enamel can cause sparking and breakage.
How to get rid of the smell in the microwave with lemon
If simple washing did not help get rid of the smell in the microwave, then you should try to do it with a lemon. There are several ways to use it:
- Take half a lemon, cut and put in a container of water. Capacity must be from a material suitable for use in a microwave oven. Put in a microwave, turn it on at full capacity and bring water to a boil. After boiling the power should be reduced and boil the water for 4-7 minutes. If the smell is not gone, then repeat the procedure with the second half.
- Pour water into a container, add dishwashing liquid and squeeze the juice of half a lemon. Turn on the power to maximum, and set the heating time to 10 minutes. After you open the door and leave it for a long time. It is better to carry out this procedure in the evening, so that overnight the smells will finally disappear.
- The last option to get rid of the unpleasant smell with lemon is frying.
It should cut the lemon into thin slices, spread out on a flat platter and "fry" it for 4-5 minutes. During the procedure, you should not move away from the microwave. We must carefully observe the process, as the lemon can catch fire.
How to get rid of the smell in the microwave soda
Soda is just a magic product. It is used for baking, washing dishes, cleaning surfaces, gargling. It can help get rid of the unpleasant smell in the microwave. You should take 1/4 cup of water, dissolve 4 teaspoons of soda in it. Using a cotton pad, apply the mixture to the inside of the microwave and leave to dry completely. After the surface has dried, apply the next layer of the mixture. An hour later, the microwave should be washed, wiped with a dry cloth and leave for some time with the door open.
Fighting odors in the microwave with vinegar
Excellent results in the fight against unpleasant odor can be obtained using vinegar. You will need 100 grams of 9% vinegar and a liter of water. The ingredients are mixed in a bowl and put in a microwave to boil. This procedure is preferably carried out with the window open.
Often use the following option. Mix vinegar with water in equal proportions. The soft cloth is moistened in this solution and thoroughly wipe all the walls in the microwave. With this method you can get rid of the smell of burning.
Important! Rag should be just wet, not wet. Do not allow the solution to enter the openings of the microwave oven.
How to get rid of the smell in the microwave using coffee
Coffee has a strong aroma, and has the ability to absorb foreign odors. With it you can remove not only the strong flavors of fish and chicken, but also completely remove the smell of burning. Suitable as ground and instant coffee.
The walls of the microwave should be wiped with unsweetened freshly brewed coffee and left for 3 hours. After rinse it with warm water and dry.
If you do not have ground coffee at hand, you can use instant coffee. Instant coffee is poured on a flat plate with an even layer and placed in the microwave for several days.
How to get rid of the smell in the microwave activated carbon
This is a fairly simple way, use it better in the evening. It will take 10 tablets. Activated carbon is ground into powder, poured onto a flat pan and placed in a microwave overnight. During this time, coal absorbs all odors.
How to get rid of the smell in the microwave using aromatic herbs
For this method, you can use any aromatic herbs: mint, lemon balm, oregano, sage, eucalyptus, lavender ... It is necessary to brew the grass in a glass dish and boil it in a microwave oven for 30 minutes. The mixture should be left inside to cool. After that, table salt is evenly poured on a flat plate and placed in a microwave oven overnight. Instant coffee can be used instead of salt in a similar way.
How to get rid of the smell in the microwave using a means for cleaning ovens
If you are not a fan of folk methods, then to remove the unpleasant smell from the microwave, you can use a spray to clean the ovens. Spray can be purchased in the hardware store, and in the hardware store.
Substance should be abundantly sprayed inside the microwave. Close it and leave for a long time. As in the previous methods, this procedure is best done in the evening. Night is enough to completely remove the smell. In the morning, the microwave should be washed several times with warm water.
Additional ways to deal with odors in the microwave
There are several ways that can be used to eliminate odors from the microwave:
- Milk will help to quickly remove the smell. You need to mix 6 tablespoons of sugar with a liter of milk and boil this mixture in the microwave.
- Well absorbs odors from onions. The onion should be cut into small pieces and placed inside the microwave for the night.
- You can use menthol toothpaste. Apply a small layer of paste with a soft cloth to the inside of the microwave. After a few hours, rinse the stove with warm water. In a similar way you can carefully clean it from dirt. Toothpaste also disinfects and helps remove the smell of burning from the microwave.
Preventive measures, how to prevent unpleasant smell in the microwave
Preventing a problem is always easier than fixing it. In order to avoid unpleasant odors in the microwave, a number of simple rules should be followed:
- After using the microwave, you should open the door for a few minutes so that the smell of cooked food will disappear.
- To heat the food, use a special plastic cover. It will prevent splashing of food and fat on the walls. If you do not have such a cover, then the plate can be covered with a paper napkin.
- Do not leave the device unattended during operation. Products such as dry bread, croissants, popcorn can easily catch fire.
- Currently, there is a whole set of tools designed specifically for the care of the microwave. Use them, and the problem of smell will never touch you.
- Once a month, make a preventive cleaning of your microwave using any of the methods described above.
Important! Keep your microwave clean. During prolonged use, the fat may heat up and ignite. The arcing will cause the magnetron to break. This is the most expensive part in the microwave and can be replaced only in the service center.