There are a lot of houseplants, and it’s not so easy to figure out which flowers should be in the house. In different cultures, domestic plants have their own values, completely different signs are associated with them - what is interesting, the Old World is distinguished by the abundance of "grandmother's wisdoms", while the Americans only kept mythological stories about flowers, but not folk beliefs. How to understand which flowers should be in the house, and which ones should not be brought into the home? Let's understand, considering at the same time on the photo with the names and descriptions of plants.
The benefits of domestic plants: the pros and cons of the apartment "garden"
Do not have home "green corner"? Sooner or later, almost everyone asks himself this question. But if some people immediately decide that this is a great idea, and bring it to life, others find a lot of excuses not to hang it up.
Here are just a few of the most popular:
- It is difficult to care for houseplants
- Growing beautiful flowers is a costly matter: we need soil, pots, fertilizers
- They will have to be transplanted often, which I don’t have time for.
- I have no place for plants in my house
- I will not be able to maintain the conditions required by the colors
Find out in any of the statements themselves? I want to make happy: for any of the listed "excuses" there is an effective and uncomplicated solution. If it’s only for these reasons that you have long abandoned your home garden in miniature, then reconsider your decision again, considering that the plants are different. Some really need to take care of constantly, while others are so unpretentious that will delight flowering, even with one watering for six months. Some flowers grow to gigantic sizes and require a separate corner, while others remain tiny cute shoots throughout their floral life. In general, among the many domestic plants, you can definitely find “your own” - the main thing is to decide on this.Chlorophytum
By the way, the green of the house not only pleases the eye, but also benefits, positively affecting both the physical and psychological state of a person. I gathered the TOP 5 confirmed by research facts about how the presence of plants affects the health and mood of a person:
Make breathing easier
As is known from the school curriculum, when breathing we consume oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. In plants, the opposite is true: when you exhale, they release oxygen into the air, raising its level throughout the house. Breathing becomes easier, the tissues of the human body are better absorbed by oxygen, which affects both the general condition and appearance.
Tip: you should not put home flowers, with some exceptions, in the bedroom - at night, the breathing process of plants diametrically changes, and they also begin to produce carbon dioxide. The exceptions mentioned are orchids, succulents, rubber plants, etc.
Help to resist diseases
Most of the plants are natural humidifiers. Absorbing water through the roots, they evaporate it through the leaves, making the air 10% more saturated with water particles. The Norwegian University of Agriculture found out that dehumidification of household plants significantly reduces the risk of owners getting colds, sore throats, coughing or developing dermatological problems with dry skin. In addition, the wetter the air - the less it lives and supports the activity of the influenza virus.Cactus
Purify the air
NASA has done a lot of research on how to maintain air quality in confined spaces - this is critically important for astronauts on the ISS, but the inhabitants of the Earth have also learned something interesting from the agency’s test results. It turned out that many plants not only produce oxygen, but also absorb, in addition to carbon dioxide, many other impurities and elements - often toxic to humans. According to NASA, the most useful plants in terms of air purification are:
- Epipremnum is golden
- Three-lane sansevieria
- Dipsis yellowish
- Dracaena bent off
- Chlorophytum crested
According to the recommendations of NASA, for every 9-10 square meters of space should fall on one plant in a pot.Fern
A study by the US National Center for Biotechnology Information has shown that the presence of indoor plants in hospital premises significantly speeds up the rehabilitation of patients, reduces pressure, relieves pain and relieves fatigue. Plant care is even more conducive to rapid recovery, as demonstrated by the results of a study at Texas A & M University. In other words, you want to be healthy and quickly recover from any ailments - find out which flowers should be in the house. And do not forget to check the names and photos before purchasing the plant.
Stimulate the brain
Partly due to the oxygen produced, partly due to the soothing green color of the foliage - home plants help to concentrate and memorize new information many times better. The University of Michigan found that being close to plants improves long-term memory by about 20%. A study originally from Norway showed that the presence of flowers in the office significantly increases the productivity of employees.The fat woman, she is the money tree
All of the above convincingly proves that it is not only possible to have flowers in the house, but it is also necessary: it will only benefit physical health. Well, what is the situation in terms of the energy of plants and their "unscientific" useful properties? Let's look at and determine from which copies it is best to make a home green corner.
What flowers must be in the house: 10+ best options
The nature of our ancestors was one of the leading forces in life - they listened to it, they asked for some favors, they even feared in places. And it is completely logical that when nature snuck into the house in the form of domestic plants, various beliefs spread to its manifestation. According to national signs, some plants attract the good, others - the bad. So what kind of flowers should be in the house, and from which it is better to stay away?Ficus
According to popular wisdom, the following plants differ in negative energy:
- Ivy. It is believed that this cute creeping greens survive from the house of men: married women are threatened with divorce, and lonely - maintaining status.
- Ficus For unknown reasons, the plant is associated with widows with all the ensuing possible consequences.
- Monstera. A flower with a very speaking name is considered a real vampire plant that pulls energy from its owners.
- Tradescantia, hoyas, cissus, etc. - Like ivy, they are considered "exiles" of men. And the Tradescantia also provokes the spread of rumors about the owners.
- Violet. According to old belief, it is better for young girls to stay away from small flowers - either the grooms will drive them away, or they will marry out of necessity, but not out of love.
- Cactus. The unfriendly thorn, according to the sign, kills the passion in a pair, and also contributes to the alcoholism of men.
Believe such signs or not - the personal choice of each. Let me just say that our faith itself gives the power to beliefs - this, in contrast to the dark abilities of home flowers, has been proved by science. But in practice, many families continue to live happily, growing ivy and tradescantia, while others diverge even without the "help" of the plants.
As for the colors, which must necessarily be in the house according to national signs, these include the following instances:
- Chlorophytum. People call this plant "family happiness" and "champagne splashes" - a very telling name.
- Oxalis and hibiscus will help to find love and passion in relationships. To awaken your own sensuality, it is recommended to grow avocados at home.
- Cactus. Yes, the thorn "lit up" and in a positive way - so these are contradictory signs. Few people have heard that cacti perfectly absorb excess electromagnetic radiation (and therefore are good near computers and other equipment). In addition, according to beliefs, they protect the house from uninvited guests and detractors.
- Fern. A pot with it will help, if the enemies have already crossed your threshold: according to popular wisdom, the fern removes damage and the evil eye.
- Jade, or "money tree." If you are looking for the answer to the question of what flowers must be in the house for money, then the name of this plant speaks for itself. And to enhance its effect will help the sporiferous flower or citrus trees - orange, lemon, kumquat.
- Ficus - another "double agent" of the people will. Of the good qualities he is credited with bringing good luck and well-being to the house, as well as peace and tranquility in the family.
- Geranium, if you believe the rumor, gives vitality and teaches philosophically to treat problems.
- Aloe, like cacti, protects against uninvited guests and misfortunes. By the way, not only energetically - you can make an excellent remedy for a cold from aloe.
In contrast to the "bad" will accept, these can be trusted - after all, if you strengthen their action with your sincere confidence, the effect will really appear. One of the most effective methods of developing positive thinking - so why not use it for the benefit of yourself and your family?
On the question of what kind of flowers should be in the house, not only folk signs, but also Chinese teachings. According to feng shui, the main criterion for choosing a plant for a home is your personal compatibility. In a word, like it - please!
There are a number of rules, the observance of which is mandatory for Feng Shui and rightly so in terms of aesthetics and common sense. Here they are:
- The house should be only fresh flowers. Ideally - growing, not cut.
- Dried and dead specimens should be sent as soon as possible and without regrets in the trash.
- Any home plants should be at least a meter away from the places where you rest: sleep, read, watch TV, etc.
- The bedroom, according to Feng Shui, is not the best place for indoor plants due to their strong energy yang. It suppresses love activity and may affect your personal life.
- But in the places of accumulation and stagnation of energy - niches, corners, etc. - plants can and should be placed.
According to Feng Shui, the energy content of the house is of great importance. Each part of the room corresponds to its own elements, and by placing plants of one or another element in different rooms, it is possible to activate or, conversely, to muffle the influence of one or another element. So, to the Metal, which has healing properties and beneficial effects on the passion in a pair, include white flowers and all plants with light leaves. Among them are aloe and kalanchoe (mostly young), jasmine, gardenia, primula, citrus, ficus, cyclamen, begonia.
Fiery plants add energy, contribute to change and success. These include all red flowers: geranium, physalis, hibiscus, gerberas - as well as cacti and all kinds of creeping succulents.
"Land" plants help to improve relationships in the family, bring peace and good mood. They bloom yellow and orange: hydrangeas, tea roses, philodendrons, asters and orchids.Dracaena
Element Water is responsible for creativity and family ties, but it also brings light notes of melancholy. The plants of this group are easily recognizable by their love of darkness and moisture: asparagus, violets (only violet), iris, dracaena, camellia, etc.
The elements of the Tree are almost all flowering herbaceous plants.
Tip: carefully study the zoning of the space for Feng Shui, before setting up home plants. Mistakes can seriously affect the energy background of the house and, accordingly, the whole atmosphere of the home and family relationships.
Practically all traditions do not advise placing plants where you sleep. But if you really want to put a couple of pots in the bedroom, be sure to find out what flowers should be in the house, and at the same time will not be able to harm you during sleep. Science will help in this, namely, all the same NASA research. According to them, some plants do not switch at night to the production of carbon dioxide and continue to purify the air, but the smell of flowers helps to sleep deeper and healthier. These examples include:
- Three-lane sansevieria
- Chlorophytum crested
- Dipsis yellowish
- Epipremnum is golden
That's the whole wisdom of choosing plants for the home. Use the maximum of their useful qualities and do not believe in bad ones - and each element of the apartment garden will bring you joy and pleasure. But when choosing flowers in a flower shop, which must be in the house, do not forget to arm yourself with a photo and make sure that you have purchased the right flower.A source