We all like it when the refrigerator is clean inside, outside and does not stink. But since cleaning the refrigerator is not the most pleasant and quick task, sometimes we run it. And sometimes there are emergencies when a persistent smell of rotten or mildew appears due to spoiled food or long refrigerator idle time. Let's find out how to properly care for it, how to freeze the freezer quickly, what to do in difficult cases and how to eliminate odors urgently and regularly.
Little about prevention
How often do I need to wash the refrigerator? In addition to the daily revisions of products and wiping the walls of the chamber, from time to time more extensive cleaning should be carried out.
- Duty care for the refrigerator without defrosting is optimally carried out once a week - you need to wipe it outside and inside, including the rubber seal, throw out everything that has accumulated too much during the week;
- Ideally, it is better to carry out a capital cleaning of the refrigerator with defrosting once a month, then frost does not form in the freezer, which reduces work efficiency, and there will be no unpleasant odors in the refrigerator. However, if you are not a perfectionist, and your refrigerator is working properly and even has a frost know-how function, then one cleaning per quarter will be enough.
Thorough cleaning in 7 steps
So, how to wash the refrigerator?
Empty the refrigerator and perform an audit. All that is stale and deteriorated - throw it away, and fold the perishable and frozen products into any container, and then put it in a cool and dark place or in a basin with cold water and ice. Banks and products in packages that also want to wipe, attributed to the direction of washing.
Defrost the refrigerator by first adjusting the temperature to zero and then disconnecting it from the mains. Leave the refrigerator and freezer doors open. Defrosting typically lasts from 3 to 10 hours. How to quickly defrost the refrigerator? To speed up the process will help the following ways:
in an empty fridge put a small pot of boiling water and close the door. As soon as the water has cooled, drain it and refill the pan with boiling water. Repeat this procedure until the freezer is defrosted;
cut a small hole in the lid of a plastic bottle and fill the bottle itself with boiling water, then thoroughly irrigate the frost - this will help it to thaw and crumble faster.
Next, proceed to the washing of shelves, containers and ... stained packaged products. While the freezer is being defrosted, we remove all shelves, containers and side racks and fold them near the sink or in the bathroom.
If you have a dishwasher, then you can wash some of it in it, removing two upper tiers in the dishwasher. If there is no dishwasher, and the pollution is not too complicated, then everything is washed manually with a sponge, brushes, hot water and detergents, and then left to dry. If there are soiled jars of jam and pickles, bottles, some products in boxes, etc., it is best to wipe them clean too.
- Clean the condenser from the back of the refrigerator from dust. This can be done with a vacuum cleaner or a long narrow brush.
- After the refrigerator is defrosted, proceed to washing the refrigerator inside. But first, you need to drain the melt water from the pallet, if it has accumulated a lot (if the ice was not enough, then you can not do this, because the water itself will evaporate with time).
- Wash should start from the top down, paying particular attention to the far walls, corners and grooves.
- Be sure to clean and disinfect the drain hole on the back of the chamber (photo on the right) - it is often the source of the unpleasant smell in the refrigerator. For this medical pear or syringe, you can pour the cleaning solution directly into the channel.
- Lastly, we clean the rubber seal with an old toothbrush, and then wipe the camera dry. It is better to leave the door open until the walls of the refrigerator are completely dry.
Means to care for the refrigerator can and should be prepared at home, and for convenience, you can pour homemade solutions in the sprayer.
- The recipe of soda solution: prepare the tool at the rate of 2 tbsp. l per 1 liter of water. To wash the refrigerator you will need about 5 liters of water. We wash the entire chamber with the resulting solution, and then remove the remnants of the soda itself with a clean rag;
- The recipe means on the basis of vinegar: make a solution at the rate of 2 tablespoons per 1 liter of water, then wipe the entire chamber.
- Vinegar solution can not be rubbed with rubber gaskets, as they from this shatter and deteriorate;
- In order to eliminate the smell in the new fridge, vinegar solution is more suitable.
On how to remove unpleasant odors in the refrigerator, we will describe a little lower in more detail.
- Now my refrigerator outside. This can be done with the same solution.
- We return all the shelves and containers in place, store all the products and turn on the refrigerator.
It is important that all the boxes, jars, bottles, bags and boxes are dry - no need to promote the formation of a new layer of ice in the freezer and increase the humidity level in the refrigerator compartment.
8 folk ways to get rid of the smell in the fridge
To eliminate the unpleasant smell in the refrigerator, you can buy a ready-made odor absorber, which is sold in any household chemical store or make a similar tool at home.
To remove extraneous smells of mold, stale fish, meat, onions, etc., you need:
- Wash the chamber with a solution of wine vinegar and water (the method is suitable for removing strong odors);
- Cut black bread into pieces, arrange on the shelves and close the refrigerator for a day;
- Put a saucer with activated carbon tablets on the shelf (you can tie it in a bag of gauze);
- Put in the fridge 2 sliced lemon halves;
- Put a gauze bag of sugar or rice in the chamber;
- Arrange tea bags or gauze bags with loose black tea;
- Pour soda into a glass and put it on the shelf of the refrigerator;
- To quickly remove the unpleasant smell in the refrigerator, you need to pour the vanilla extract into a glass or saucer and put in the refrigerator.
For details on how to remove the unpleasant smell in the refrigerator, see the following video review of various folk remedies.