Useful ideas

Mortally dangerous household items that people use every day

Often people associate their home with safety and shelter.

However, in fact, in any home there may be many dangers that are often not even suspected.

Every year, countless people are injured and some die from household items that most people use daily.

1. Bleach

Deadly: bleach.

Bleach, designed to clean even the most severe contaminants, can be very dangerous. If this chemical is accidentally introduced into the body, or even if its vapor is inhaled, it can be fatal. Also, bleaching bleach with other cleaning products, such as ammonia and acids, can be fatal.

The main ingredient of bleach is sodium hypochlorite. When mixed with ammonia, this substance emits toxic gases called chloramines. When mixed with acids, bleach gives off chlorine gas, which can damage mucous membranes even with minimal exposure. Moreover, it can even be absorbed through the skin.

2. Toothpaste

Deadly: toothpaste.

In fact, almost every tube of toothpaste should have a warning written that it is poisonous. An astounding 95 percent of all toothpaste contains fluoride. Although the severity of the effects of this substance depends on how much it enters the body, depends on the “consumed” amount of the paste, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) calls to go to the hospital if only a few people get into the stomach more paste than commonly used for brushing your teeth.

Also, most toothpastes are supposed to be used in size from about a pea at a time. However, the advertisement shows much larger portions, which can be dangerous, especially for children. Another important risk factor for using toothpaste is dental fluorosis, which is a side effect of the effect on tooth enamel, and which can lead to serious consequences.

3. Fireplace

Deadly: fireplace.

Undoubtedly, fireplaces are comfortable. They provide warmth and comfort, but can also produce toxic gases, in particular carbon monoxide. People are at particular risk if their fireplace is poorly ventilated or if the fireplace burns during sleep. Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur, which cannot be seen because it is invisible and odorless.

Such poisoning often leads to death. Exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to headaches, dizziness and loss of consciousness. Prolonged exposure can cause brain damage and death, slowly depriving the body of the necessary oxygen.

4. Naphthalene

Deadly: naphthalene.

The moth remedy, which is made from either naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene, poses a serious threat to the safety of the home, especially for young children. The Department of Public Health explains that both chemicals turn into gases when exposed to oxygen, producing a distinct smell.

This gas not only irritates the eyes and lungs, but is even suspected that it can cause cancer. In infants, these substances are poorly eliminated from the body, with the result that they can develop jaundice and other diseases.

5. Drying laundry

Deadly dangerous: drying laundry.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that automatic clothes dryers cause more than 15,000 fires each year. Their air vents can become clogged and initiate a fire.

6. Paint containing lead

Deadly: lead paint.

In 1978, the US government banned the use of all paints containing lead. But in homes and buildings that were previously built, there is a risk that their inhabitants may suffer from lead poisoning. Lead-based paint is still present in millions of homes. The Environmental Protection Agency reports that the most critical risk occurs when lead paint is "aging."

7. Extension cords

Deadly: extension cords.

Although portable extension cords are very useful, and are widely used both at work and at home, they are much more dangerous than most people think. And the reason is that they are extremely flammable. In the United States alone, 3,300 house fires occur every year due to extension cords; about 50 people are killed and another 270 people are injured.

In addition, in the emergency departments every year 4,000 people arrive with injuries caused by extension cords. Even more interestingly, half of these injuries are fractures, sprains, or lacerations.

8. Means for polishing furniture

Deadly dangerous: furniture polish.

Naturally, with the help of furniture polish, you can make the furniture look like new. But it can also lead to a trip to the emergency room. Although this is a common item that can be found under a kitchen sink in homes around the world, furniture lacquer has an extremely toxic composition.

MedlinePlus (Service of the National Medical Library of the United States and the National Institutes of Health) reports that hydrocarbons in liquid furniture lacquer can poison the body if ingested or even inhaled. If the product gets into the eyes, this can lead to loss of vision. If inhaled, it can cause serious damage to the lungs, and in contact with skin - severe irritation.

9. High-pressure washers

Deadly dangerous: high-pressure washers.

The problem is that such high-pressure water-washing devices sometimes create a stronger pressure than ordinary garden hoses can withstand (and the pressure per square centimeter exceeds the recommended 30-80 times). This leads to the fact that the hoses are torn, and the couplings literally "shoot" like bullets, collapsing. At the same time, injuries to people are not uncommon.

10. Non-stick cookware

Deadly dangerous: non-stick cookware.

Non-stick cookware is a vital component of the kitchen of any person who often cooks: from restaurant chefs to housewives. In 2006, 90 percent of all aluminum cookware sold was “non-stick”, coated with a substance called “Teflon”. This percentage continues to grow, despite the fact that experts say about hazardous chemicals.

Robert L. Wolke, Ph.D., from the University of Pittsburgh emphasizes that non-stick pans are safe until they overheat. When kitchenware reaches an unsuitable temperature, the coating begins to evaporate at an invisible molecular level, and toxic gases are released.